Lindsay in Europe and Beyond

Monday, February 19, 2007

Granada

Granada was the last leg of my spanish adventure! I took a bus from Seville to Granada and spent 2 full days there. My journey was strange...it took about 3 hours on the bus which wasn't bad and then when I got to the bus station I had to make my way to the hostel which was a little hard to find but eventually it was found and was really cool. There was a great roof-top patio which is where the bar and kitchen were. I got to meet some good people there and I ended up going out with them for a tapas tour the first night.

This is the cathedral in the middle of the city. I took an open bus top tour around the city like I had in a few cities (I am growing quite fond of these bus tours) so I was able to see a lot of the sights in the city and then I could decide what I wanted to go and get a better look at. First of all I decided that I should go to the Alhambra because I studied a lot about this at school and it was one of the cannot miss things to do when you are there....

I am posing in front of a canon inside the grounds of the Alhambra, which is like a little city because there were houses, stores, a church, pretty much everything you could have ever needed in a city...


The alhambra was absolutely gorgeous!!! I could not believe the views from around all of Granada. The white houses you can see in the background of this picture were breath-taking.


The architecture in the Alhambra was magnificent...there is so much history there that it is unbelievable. I was really looking forward to seeing the Patio of the Lions when I was there because it is one of the most famous parts of the Alhmabra....but to my disappointment it was being re-finished....of course.....like everything in europe, so I couldn't actually see it. For those that do not know what it is, there is this patio with a fountain in the middle of a courtyard which has the basin resting on the heads of 12 lions. Even though you could not see the lions it was still amazing to see all the little details that were put into this magnificent structure!


This is the last photo I took in the Alhambra which I feel is one of the best. I wish that it was a little straighter but that is ok because I love the reflection of the building in the water!

Overall my time in Granada was great. I enjoyed it a lot and I was able to see a lot of the sights but I did spend the majority of my time in the Alhambra and I would tell everyone to go and see it if they get the chance because it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home