Lindsay in Europe and Beyond

Monday, October 16, 2006

Stonehenge

STONEHENGE!!!
I want to start off by saying that for those people who told me this was not as impressive in person was lying! Yeah, it is only a bunch of really big old rocks but I thought it was amazing. I loved every minute (60 to be exact) that I was there looking at it.


I went on a trip with a bunch of other international students from my university and I was able to meet a lot of really great people!! Some from the states who are here for a semester, (until christmas) and then one other CANADIAN!! He is from Calgary and he is really cool. The other thing that is really nice is that he lives with some of the americans and they live on my street, and we have never met so we are going to be able to hang out together a lot more which will be exciting!

This is the Canadian, his name is Brian, and he was in the middle of doing the egyptian because he thought he was really cool!! But he is a lot of fun to hang out with. He is in his 3rd year doing a year over here so he will be here the whole year with me so that should be fun! We are planning a couple weekend trips together to go and see some of Europe...more news to come!!


These are some of the biggest rocks I have ever seen in my life! Here are some fun and interesting facts!!! Did you know that stonehenge was constructed in three phases, by three different cultures; Windmill, First Wessex and the Beakers. They are still not sure how it was built, maybe it will always be a mystery?!?!? As of 1978 you cannot go close to the stones. There are ropes that have been placed there to help perserve the stones from further damage, which is understandable but it kind of sucks because there is a rope blocking off where you can and cannot go around it. BUT...as with all rules there is one exception, (not too sure what it is) but there are some times when you can walk between the stones but they do not publish that kind of information.

There are speculations about why this was built, and why in this spot. These speculations have a very wide range from human sacrifice to astronomy.

Angela and I, can you tell that we are so excited?! It was so much colder there than it was when we left from Canterbury in the morning. I do not understand the weather here, it is crazy insane!!
One last great shot! I am standing in front of stonehenge. I think I look pretty cool with my handset audio tour of stonehenge. It was fun to listen to for a while but my hands were cold because I didn't have any mittens.


Even though it took us 3 hours to get there this was an amazing trip!!! Now it is onto Bath for the remainder of the day! Look for the post to come in the next few days!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home